Start Learning Dutch in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

wedding toast

callat11026647
New in Town

wedding toast

Postby callat11026647 » June 5th, 2013 11:06 pm

I am the father of an American who is marrying a Dutch girl inJuly in Amsterdam. I would like to give a toast in Dutch, but don't have a clue about traditional toasts. About a hundred people will be present, 4 of them American, only a few that don't speak English. Please help
Andy

jacob.innovative
New in Town

Re: wedding toast

Postby jacob.innovative » June 20th, 2013 1:07 pm

Hello Andy,

Thank you for your comment and let's see if we can help you out. First of all congratulations!!!! I bet it's going
to be a super awesome wedding! And it's in Amsterdam? nice!

I think the toast in the Netherlands is not that much different as how you do it in the United States. It's maybe a good
idea to get in touch with the coordinator to check what the planning will be for that day. Usually the toast will be after dinner and before the dessert. Personally i think you should go for a mainly English speech because most of them will understand the English. You could start your toast by saying 'thank you' Dutch and end the speech with a congratulations in Dutch. Is the coordinator of the wedding a Dutch person? Than it's best to check with him/her when to do the toast and he/she can also help you out with the toast.

Hope you all have a wonderful day!

Jacob,
Team Dutchpod101.com

Get 40% OFF
callat11026647
New in Town

Postby callat11026647 » June 20th, 2013 9:21 pm

Hi Jacob

Thank you for the reply. Yes the coordinator is Dutch, and I will check with him regarding a toast. Thank you again for the help and advise.

Andy

team.relationships
New in Town

Postby team.relationships » June 21st, 2013 6:57 am

Hello Andy,

Thank you for your message, it's a pleasure to help you!
Feel free to ask us anything!

Congratulations again!
Mélanie
Team Dutchpod101.com

Return to “General Discussion and Help Learning Dutch”